Thursday, July 05, 2007

Day 11 – Continental divide.

Avon, Montana to Townsend, Montana

We had royalty among us today. I woke Ane up this morning with a hug instead of an alarm, I figured that that’s how her mother would have done it on her birthday. Then I gave her her birthday beads and crowned her with her Birthday Princess crown complete with pink feathers. Don’t worry, I got a great picture of the sleepy princess. We were informed by a lot of people that they woke up to our giggling this morning, but that’s better than an alarm right?



Right away this morning we were off to a long climb right away. I started out with Ane, and then rode for a while with David, which was good conversation. When he stopped, I decided it would be a nice change to ride by myself for a while. It was an unexpectedly social solo ride; it was great because I was going my own pace up the hill, but between passing people and getting passed, I was hardly alone.



At the top of the hill we reached the continental divide, which was noted by a large wooden sign but no spectacular view or anything. After our photoshoot, and after Ane popped her gift of champaign, we embarked on the ten mile descent. We didn’t get especially speedy, I think I averaged about 35 mph, but it was long and beautiful. There’s nothing better than (a) feeling the thrill of a descent and (b) enjoying the scenery on the way down.



The rest of the day was fairly uneventful. I have a feeling that much of Montana is going to look alike, which is a terrain with its own beauty, but nonetheless you become quickly accustomed to. Our riding group switched up a bunch today, and then I finished up the rest of the day with Sean. We came into Townsend around two-ish, stopped at the gas station for directions and then walked into the bakery to pick up a birthday cake for Ane. As it turns out, we were informed that her mom had already ordered five dozen cupcakes to be delivered! Clever woman. So we enjoyed a delightful dinner and spread of birthday sweets, and lights out in the gym were 7 p.m. in preparation for an early morning start.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

November 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home