Sunday, July 22, 2007

Day 28 – American pie and the Beer Garden.

New Ulm, Minnesota to Owatonna, Minnesota

Last night was a restless night for some reason, and I heard Ane thrashing around on her mattress all night as well. Breakfast was in the cafeteria this morning, and I had some Life cereal with the yummy blueberries that my parents bought for me. Perfect. I had a pretty good day today, and thoroughly enjoy the southern Minnesotan terrain, small towns, and of course people as we approach my hometown. It was cloudy all day, sometimes with a headwind and often with a strong crosswind. Ane and I feel right at home in the rolling farmland, and today we passed field after field of corn and soybeans. I love the soybeans: they look like seas of sequins or velour with their shiny texture.

Not too much exciting happened today, it was a pretty short day at 72 miles. I had a flat at mile 57 at the rest stop, which was not a problem to fix. We hung out there at Kathy’s stop for a long, long time eating donuts and cookies. It was nice. When we rolled into Owatonna this afternoon we were greeted by a Vern fan club (this is his hometown) and were served pie by his wife—what a treat! Camp is at the Owatonna fairgrounds, and tonight’s $10 night was spent at a Mexican Restaurant across the street. So I’m full and content now just to lay here in the breeze on my thermarest, anticipating a fun day tomorrow going through Rochester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home