Saturday, July 21, 2007

Day 27 – Root beer tasting.

New Ulm, Minnesota

I had such a nice rest day. Sean and Ben and I rode our bikes into town for some breakfast at a small local diner called Ulmer’s. We ended up sitting there for a long time with our bottomless cups of coffee enjoying the morning and the company. When we came back to the dorms we cleaned our bikes outside and then sat around outside on the grass in the breeze. Totally relaxing.

My parents came to New Ulm by about 4:30, and it was so nice to see them and be able to give them hugs and talk face-to-face instead of briefly on the cell phones. After a grocery store stop we went over to Schell’s brewery for a tour, and coincidently met Sean and Ben there as well. The tour was a little too detailed with the history, and a little lacking in actual brewery showing, but it was still nice. My parents pretty much had six bottles of beer sat in front of just them for the tasting, and us youngsters were give large glasses of 1919 rootbeer. After a dinner at the Lamplighter restaurant (nice but not vegetarian friendly), and some really expensive but delicious homemade ice cream, I hugged my parents goodbye until two days from now when I ride through Rochester.

We’re all preparing for a stretch of seven days on the bike ahead of us, and Ane and I are more than excited to see our hometown the day after tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home