Monday, June 25, 2007

Day 1 - Out of Seattle.

Seattle, Washington to Easton, Washington

Well, well...what a day! Day One of our adventure found us milling around on a Seattle waterfront park at 7 a.m. During a brief ceremony where we handed over a check for $350,000 to the ALAW, it was a glorious cause and accomplishment, but I’m sure the majority of us were just antsy and itching to get out on the road. I was more nervous I’m sure than I was able to fully acknowledge at the time, but I was certainly was anxious. It was so nice to have my brother and father there for the whole thing, to hold our bikes, take pictures, send us off with all support and confidence. Having them and Ane there, and speaking to my mom on the phone, was grounding.

Finally we were off, and it was CRAZY. Our cue sheets with directions were 3 pages long with a million close left and right turns. It was so all over the place that I could barely glance at the sheet anyways. Fortunately there were a group of former big riders with us for the day to help guides us, which got us through the city (not without some off-roading still). There was a lot of adrenaline running through the group as we were going through the city, winding through bike paths, across the huge windy bridge, and past traffic. That was honestly the most “city riding” I’d ever done, I’ve been so spoiled with country road training around Ypsi/Ann Arbor and Rochester. It was fun though, and things started to wind down when we left the city. We had a climb to Susquihana Falls, where we all stopped for lunch and a photoshoot. From there I found myself riding with a Former Rider, Will, which was really good conversation as well as assurance as he offered me stories and advice from his own experience. Already I can tell that this experience will be flooded with inspiring people; every person I talked to today has such stories and perspectives. Honestly, what kind of person rides his/her bike across the country?

Next challenge of today’s ride was a climb up Dennis Road to beautiful pass, and then the glorious descent. The climb up was on small road through the forest, and the descent was on I-90, which I was grateful to have Will lead and point out hazards for me. Our group slashed through a field of crap on the shoulder at one point, little metal disks, which left many people with their first flat of the trip. We figured that some avenging motorist had thrown them on the road and was chuckling behind a tree as we road through one by one at 30-35 mph.





Camp was at Easton State Park, which was wonderful to stay at a real campground, what I think of as “camping” for our first night. All of our tents were nestled into the sites in the trees. A bunch of Former Riders met us there to cook-out for us, burgers and veggie burgers with salad and pasta, beer, juice and soda. We were spoiled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home