Sunday, June 24, 2007

so our journey begins.

Wow, wow, wow. Here I am in Seattle. My mother and I enjoyed a relaxing morning over coffee and conversation yesterday at Dunn Brothers (who has great coffee, but Jim there is a reason why they put all lattes in to-go cups so that you can't see the foam quality ;). We met Ane and her family at the airport, and after hugs, kisses, words of wisdom, and a few tears, we were off through security. After reminding Ane about travel-sized liquids in quart-sized bags, Miss Responsible Me gets stopped for having a swiss army knife in my carry-on. Awesome. But I certainly had my liquidss all in order.

The flight was easy and relaxing until before we knew it the pilot was announcing that already we were in Montana. Goodness gracious, wake-up call. The time it took us to reach Montana could be tracked in minutes--our way back would take us days and weeks. There were many emotions washing over me as we flew over the rolling hills as they gave way to peaking mountains: admiration, awe, nervousness, thrill, apprehension, and an already forming sense of determination. Those mountains, those roads below me, are goiing to kick my booty, challenge me, reward me, and command my respect for its terrible and beautiful terrain. Magesty. Without getting too dramatic, it was a flight unlike any I have been on. Seeing that horizon was still a fraction of the distance we'd be traveling. And every little wind in those pinprick roads, every little river and plot of land I skimmed with my eyes were the same that would take me weeks to traverse.

Our host Alicia picked us up at the airport. She, her husband, and little 11-month-old Jack were fantastic hosts. Ane and I were spoiled rotten in our little "cabana" out back, with supior home-cooked food, and a great walking tour guide of Seattle. It's easy to fall in love with the city, on the waterfront, with unique and welcoming vibes. Not to mention BEAUTIFUL. Perhaps I should keep count of how many times I use that word this summer.

After a relaxing morning, and a true Seattle latte, we made our way over to Orientation. It was intimidating to see so many people there, but very quickly was really calming to finally meet everyone and hear other people's experiences and etc.

Tomorrow's the big day...bright and early we have a big send-off and check ceremony. $350,00.00 is the amount that we're handing over to the ALAW. How cool.

Missing everyone already. Excited. Nervous. Ready.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

We decided it was a good thing you didn't have to preview the course in the car on the way there. It may have been odd to traverse that distance in a handful of hours, but I don't think your stomach would have been feeling great had you seen all those hills, haha. Hope your first day went well.

I want to re-do your website. You should give me some access.

I posted pictures from this morning too. Check it out if you get a chance.

June 25, 2007  
Blogger aLex said...

AH!!!
glad you liked seattle, do you now see why i love it in the pacific north west?!?
yay!!!

June 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home