Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Day 17 – Riding in herds.

Sheridan, Wyoming to Gillette, Wyoming

Last night Ane and I woke up (probably by the highway which sounded like it was right next to our campsite) and both had to pee so bad. Grudgingly we slipped on or flip flops and fleeces to brave the night air, and were immediately dazzled by the stars. The spread was the best night sky that I’ve seen so far on this trip. With much less light pollution, the milky way was clearly visible. We were cold, we had to pee so badly, but all we could do was hug each other as the sky mesmerized us. It was the most worth-it bathroom trip ever.



When our alarm went off much too early this morning, it was the start to a very long day: we knew that today was going to be one of our longest mileages of the entire trip. In actuality, though, it was one of my best days. For the first half of the route, we rode in one huge herd. No real pacelines or organization, we played jute box and laughed at a surprisingly fast clip. (My generation was a little underrepresented as songs from the eighties were predominate from Tom, Allison, and Kari; us college kids have to work on that.) Ben and I shared another customary cream soda today, and before we all knew it we were at waterstop 50-something mile, then 70-something mile. Despite the mileage we were covering, it was a little disheartening to recognize that at mile 70 we still had 40 miles left.





I had a lot of fun today though, and the route was anything but flat. We had a lot of healthy climbs, and I rode with Sean, Ben, Kari, Scott, Tom, Allison, and Andy. It was fun to ride with these people because I consider them a little about my ability, but I had no problem keeping up and we had some good energy. It gave me a lot of confidence because I can notice a definite improvement with my strength and hill climbing.



We finally rolled into camp a little before 4, and headed over to Subway for a little nutrition on another $10 night. We’re staying at a city park tonight, which has showers at the community pool and is located right next to skate park. Busy place: I’m not expecting a quiet night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home