Friday, August 03, 2007

Day 37 – A few of my favorite things.

What a feast we had for breakfast this morning: in addition to our typical truck breakfast we had leftover fruit, corn, meat, and cheese from last night’s dinner. Ben grabbed a whole package of crackers and Sean stuck two ears of corn into his back jersey pocket to eat on the bike later. The beginning of the ride today were small rollers, but a lot of them. They were a nice change from the flats we had yesterday, and the flats we were to have later on that day. I rode side by side with Margo for a while today, and it was so nice to talk to her because we’re in similar stages in our lives right now, or I will be shortly. By that I mean the stage of life where we don’t know where we’re going to be or what we’re going to be doing. Jody told me yesterday that I should only be thinking three days in advance, and to live day by day and moment by moment. Man, I wish I knew how to do that.

This morning we made another McDonalds coffee stop (and fatty yummy breakfast things for some people). Bob joined us too in time for Ane and I to reveal our stunning new tats: Michelangelo tattoos that went together side by side. I was chided for having the audacity to wear a picture of God on my biceps, but of course it was totally appropriate for Ane to have a naked man on her’s. Thank you Will for the great tattoos, we’ll be using them up by the end of the trip for sure.

The rest of the ride today definitely flattened out. It was sad because we rode through so many just wasted fields of corn and soybeans. They were totally desolate fields, akin to the destruction we witnessed as we rode by the burnt forest at Custer State Park. We discovered later that the fields were destroyed by hail damage, and I can’t even imagine how much the farmers are hurting from that.

Kathy held her checkpoint waterstop around mile 50 today, and she was such a sweetheart she went and bought us a whole pack of A&W rootbeer. This treat was accompanied by our socialite Mary’s cheese from her bike cooler that we ate with Ben’s crackers. What a picnic. The rest of the route was short, flat, and easy with the sun beating down on us and good conversation. Ane had the Soung of Music’s “These are a few of my favorite things” stuck in her head, so we began to list off ours together. What a fun game: sitting in her mother’s flannel shirt pocket kitchen, watching lightning storms from porches, flying kites, freshly baked out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookies, and on and on and on.

When I finally rolled into the Neopolean County Fairgrounds, I spotted my brother’s bright blue Saturn complete with the bike rack on top. He was waiting for me, and chit-chatting with the crew. It was so much fun to see him, so much fun. Poor guy, Alex ended up driving us all over the place. First to the emergency room so Ane could get a skin condition checked out, then to the Wal-mart pharmacy, then to dinner, then to the pool, and then finally to the Mr. Frosty ice cream place. Ane and I splashed around in the community pool, which was a blast. My roommate Claire showed up at the last minute tonight and met us at the ice cream place, and it was so much fun to see her. We had some quality gossip time and she brought me plenty of chocolate and gatorade to qualm any chocolate cravings I might have, it was so sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home